For most people an embrace represents support, happiness, closeness and a way of expressing what we feel towards others; however, the benefits of hugs are more extensive, because they directly impact your health.
Scientists of the Duke University, in the United States , they assure that a person needs to receive hugs and caresses from his first years of life, to avoid that his neurons die by the absence of the physical contact.
The importance of this physical contact increases with time, for example, a study of University of North Carolina It suggests that when other people touch or hug us, oxytocin levels in the blood are increased, better known as the love hormone.
Therefore, it is an ideal therapy to reduce depression, loneliness, anxiety, stress and to heal your body, but what other changes does your body generate in a hug? Know them!
1. Increase your confidence and security
2. Reduce feelings of anger and apathy
3. Encourage happiness and improve your mood by raising serotonin
4. Strengthen your immune system by increasing the production of white blood cells
5. Increase your self-esteem
6. Relax the muscles
7. Releases body tension by balancing the nervous system
8. Decrease blood pressure
9. Reduce the risk of suffering from dementia
10. Rejuvenates your body by stimulating the level of oxygen in the blood
In accordance with VirginiaSatir, family psychotherapist, it ensures that four hugs a day are needed to survive, eight as maintenance and 12 for personal growth. And you, how many hugs do you give a day?