Schizophrenia affects a million Mexicans

Nearly 1 million Mexicans suffer schizophrenia . Each year 250 thousand people are hospitalized mental disorders in the Psychiatric Hospitals of the Mexican Institute of Social Security (IMSS) where 5 out of 10 patients are schizophrenic, a disease that currently affects 1 in 100 people in the world .

Schizophrenia is a chronic and debilitating mental illness. The person who suffers it usually presents abnormal thinking , loss of contact with reality , hallucinations (see and hear things that are not real) and delusions (beliefs that are not true or false). No one knows for sure what causes schizophrenia; It may be due to some genetic issue, environmental factors or abnormal levels of neurotransmitters, chemicals in the brain that influence our thought processes and emotions.

 

Can you live with schizophrenia?

In view of the growing number of diagnosed cases, the Hospital de Psiquiatría "Dr. Héctor Tovar Acosta "of the IMSS, has launched the Partial Hospital Program for the Rehabilitation of the Schizophrenic Patient and his Family. According to his coordinator, the doctor José Luis Vázquez Ramírez , it is about reinserting the schizophrenic patient into social and family life through a series of multidisciplinary actions such as family therapy, family oriented social work, as well as physical and manual activities; all of them aimed at recovering the patient's ability, coordination and mental agility.

With these activities it is intended that the patient be Independent , have the ability to socialize, be encouraged to follow the treatment indicated by the doctor and perform at home as in any academic activity , sports or work. At present. We work in groups of approximately 15 patients, in order to personalize the care and so that the impact is multiple. The attention provided by this program is 6 months, but in cases where the objectives are not reached, it can be extended to another semester.

 

Fundamental the timely diagnosis and treatment of schizophrenia

According to the specialist, mothers they must take special care during their pregnancy , since it is proven that more than 90% of schizophrenic patients suffered fetal suffering and certain forms of neurological damage. On the other hand, it is important that the patient receives treatment and timely diagnosis, given that out of every 100 patients with schizophrenia only 40% is treated and the remaining 60% is confined to a room or remains hidden by the patients. relatives , without any kind of attention. Therefore, in the event of any anomaly that parents observe in the behavior of their children, it is essential to make a Timely assessment to detect or rule out the disease in time. This is very important especially among children and adolescents, to avoid future complications related to the consumption of alcohol and illegal drugs, as well as suicide.


Video Medicine: Institutionalized: Mental Health Behind Bars (September 2021).