In Mexico 9 out of 10 people suffer from some periodontal disease , but the most alarming is that of those, 8 do not believe they are sick just because they do not feel pain , it states Agustín Zerón and Gutiérrez de Velasco , dental spokesperson GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) .
When you talk about oral health rarely think about the care of gums and in the diseases that attack them. Therefore, it is not uncommon to think that a lot of the population is not aware of what the gingivitis and all that entails suffering it.
Gutiérrez de Velasco, clarifies that when talking about gingivitis refers only to the inflammation of the gums , caused by bacteria that when accumulated cause a severe irritation and bleeding.
The Bleeding gums It occurs very frequently in the population, but most people do not recognize it, nor do pain , as symptoms of a disease. However, both are a red light that are warning that something is wrong, "he adds.
It is ignorance about gingivitis what causes that many of the myths that surround it continue in force, in spite of the alarming figures of people who suffer it. Some of them, according to the specialist, are.
1. To think that having no bleeding does not have the disease. The reality is that the symptom They go beyond bleeding. Yes the gums are: red, bright, flaccid or bleeding, any of the four (with a single coarse), are ill .
2. Assume that the gums bleed because the same person is hurting themselves. Yes well the bad brushing of teeth can cause the bleeding , it is important to recognize that when it happens frequently, it is a sign of the presence of gingivitis .
3. Believe that gingivitis is not a serious problem. Is disease it is the gateway to other types of ailments, says the specialist. When the gingivitis mild is not treated in time, it becomes periodontitis , and its severity can continue to increase.
Age is not the cause of tooth loss in adulthood, it is that the gingivitis Y periodontitis they are not treated in time, they grow in severity until the pieces loosen and fall off. "
4. Before the pain you have to stop brushing. On the contrary, by skipping the oral cleaning is encouraging the growth of bacteria . Which will continue to affect the gum directly and therefore to the growth of disease .
The health of your mouth depends a lot on the care and prevention , Gutiérrez de Velasco affirms that the teeth they can and should last a lifetime. To avoid the gingivitis , and severe ailments, he recommends.
1. Brush the teeth in a period of 3 to 4 minutes, adequate time to eliminate bacteria .
2. Use support tools such as floss and mouth rinse.
3. Include high-level foods in the diet fiber Y calcium .
4. Visit the dentist every 6 months for a cleaning deep (every 3 or 4 months if you already have the problem).
Keep in mind that knowing what is the gingivitis It is relevant for your teeth and gums have perfect health. Your smile is the best "weapon" of conviction with which you count, do not hide it or neglect it.