Food is a vitally important issue, however, there are some toxic foods whose consumption can cause from stomach diseases to poisoning and death.
Therefore, according to a study of Center for Science in the Public Interest regulated by Food and Drug Administration (FDA) , we present some of the toxic foods with which precautions should be taken when including them in the diet:
1. Fungi Beyond the hallucinogenic properties they may have, fungi can kill. Certain varieties are so poisonous that they are capable of killing or affecting the liver or kidneys, especially those in the wild.
2. Puffer fish. The intestines, ovaries and liver of the puffer fish have a poison that is far more lethal than cyanide. "The toxin is so powerful that a lethal dose is smaller than the head of a pin, and a single fish has enough venom to kill 30 people," says the study.
3. Green vegetables. Not for its properties, but for its preparation, some vegetables such as lettuce, cabbage and arugula are very risky for health and have had to be included in the list of the most risky foods of 2009. The Center has identified 363 different cases of diseases due to these plants, caused mostly by noroviruses.
4. Tapioca It is a pudding made from cassava which, if improperly prepared, can produce cyanide, a deadly component, and poison the user. The American Cancer Society warns that those with latex allergy may be more susceptible. In addition, a small group of people is also allergic to cassava.
5. Rhubarb . It is a very acid celery commonly used in confectionery, of which, if too many leaves are eaten (raw or cooked), they could cause poisoning by their toxins.
6. Tuna According to the FDA, in some fish such as tuna, frozen or canned, high levels of mercury have been found, whose high levels can damage the nervous system and increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases, so that their consumption should be moderated.
7. Parsley It should always be used moderately, since in excess it could be toxic. The milder symptoms will be stomach upsets and diarrhea, in addition to causing damage to the liver and kidneys, so it should always be an ingredient but never the base of the dishes.
8. Canola oil. Created by man, this oil is found in more than 30% of all products. It is really rapeseed oil and can cause emphysema and respiratory distress, eventually leading to cancer, in addition to causing damage at the cellular level.
9. Margarine The body can not incorporate trans fatty acids into the membranes and causes deformations in cellular structures, because it accelerates aging and degenerative changes in tissues.
10. Sausages. This sausage, along with other similar, not only represents a risk to develop fatty liver, in addition to generating fluid retention, but it is also one of the main causes of death by asphyxia in the United States.
While there are some contradictions regarding the consumption of these toxic foods, it is important to consider that the risk of either poisoning or disease is reduced simply by good hygiene and moderate consumption.