Winter (cold) and dry climate with low humidity are the main cause of dry skin, dry skin or xerosis, depending on the American Academy of Dermatology , but there are other factors that can cause it.
Dry skin or xerosis can result in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by leaving healthy skin cells dry and wrinkled. While most cases are not serious and with proper treatment is corrected, you should pay special attention to its causes to prevent it.
1. Habits. According to specialists from the Mexican Foundation for Dermatology Sometimes dry or irritated skin is caused by exaggerated cleaning habits or use of inappropriate medications.
2. To bathe in excess , especially with hot water, can break down lipid barriers, which removes moisture from the skin and generates excessive dryness, reveal specialists fromMayo Clinic .
3. Swimming for a long time It can also be a cause of dry skin, due to the high and prolonged exposure to pool chemicals, such as chlorine, that damage and reduce skin moisture.
4. UV rays. The sun dries the skin. However, the damage of ultraviolet (UV) rays penetrates far beyond the upper layer of the skin (epidermis). The most significant damage occurs in the deep dermis, where the collagen fibers and elastin break down much faster than they should, leading to deep wrinkles and sagging skin.
5. Soaps and detergents. Many popular soaps remove lipids from detergents and water from the skin. Deodorants and antibacterial soaps are usually the most damaging, as are many shampoos that dry the scalp.
6. Hypothyroidism . It is a condition that occurs when the thyroid produces hormones little by little, reduces the activity of your sweat and sebaceous glands, resulting in dry and rough skin.
It is considered that women are more susceptible than men to dry skin, but it occurs in both cases. Likewise, people with white skin, more than the brunette, present most of the pictures, which are accentuated according to an older age.