Our body takes advantage of minerals for many different functions, including the formation of bones, the production of hormones and the regulation of heart rate, among others; On the contrary, the lack of these is associated with different diseases.
The best way to obtain them is through the consumption of a wide variety of foods or, in the absence of minerals , through supplements. This group of nutrients is divided into microminerals (calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, chlorine and sulfur), and trace elements (iron, manganese, copper, iodine, zinc, cobalt, fluorine and selenium).
Many people have mild deficiencies of certain minerals and vitamins, which implies a long-term predisposition to develop age-related diseases, according to a study Nutrition and Metabolism Center at Children's Oakland Hospital , such as Cancer, heart disease; and loss of immune function or brain function.
1. Chrome . East mineral It is vital to metabolize fats and sugars, so its deficiency leads to diseases such as insulin resistance , Mellitus diabetes , heart disease and obesity.
2. Selenium . The lack of this mineral it can cause the deficiency of natural suppressor cells, necessary to attack cells that have been infected by some type of virus. In addition to prostate problems, weakness, Cancer (due to the effect of free radicals), diseases of the skin (dandruff, acne) and infertility.
3. Zinc . Mineral indispensable for an optimal immune system, its deficiency makes us more prone to contract viral and bacterial infections, problems in sexual and cerebral functions, rises the risk of prostate cancer , of infertility , low growth, and poor circulation and scarring.
4. Iodine . Its deficiency can cause mental retardation, abnormal development in children, a lack of development in infants called cretinism, hypothyroidism , obesity , problems in mammary tissues (cystic fibrosis).
5. Fluorine . Micromineral essential for bone health. The lack of fluoride is associated with an increased risk of cavities , reduction of tooth enamel, bone weakness, osteoporosis , fractures, and progressive deafness with age (affects the bones of the ear).
In general, an adequate consumption of these nutrients allows an optimal state of health. The lack of minerals it can generate diseases that reduce the quality of life; However, an overeating of them can also have severe consequences for health, so the most important thing will always be a balanced diet.