Many creams and lotions anti-wrinkle of sale in department stores, pharmacies or Internet, promise to reduce wrinkles and prevent or reverse the damage caused by the sun.
The medical specialists of Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minessota explains that this depends on the specific ingredients and the time of use, because these free-selling anti-wrinkle creams are not classified as drugs, nor do they require undergoing scientific studies to check their effectiveness.
1. Retinol. It is a vitamin A compound, the first antioxidant widely used in over-the-counter wrinkle creams. Antioxidants are substances that neutralize free radicals, that is, unstable oxygen molecules that break down skin cells and produce wrinkles.
2. Vitamin C. This is another powerful antioxidant, able to protect the skin from sun damage. Creams that contain vitamin C should always be stored so that they do not come in contact with air or sunlight, both before opening and during use.
3. Hydracids. The alpha hydroxy acids, beta hydroxy acids and polyhydroxy acids are exfoliants, or substances that extract the outer layer of old and dead skin cells to stimulate the growth of new, smooth skin with uniform pigmentation.
4. Coenzyme Q10. This ingredient can help reduce fine lines around the eyes and protect the skin from sun damage.
5. Tea extract . The components of green, black and blue or oolong tea have antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Green tea extracts are the most commonly used in anti-wrinkle creams.
6. Extract of grape seeds. Apart from its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, the grape seed extract also promotes the healing of wounds.
7. Niacinamide. This substance is a powerful antioxidant, linked to vitamin B-3 (niacin), helps the skin to lose less water and can improve its elasticity.
In this regard, scientists from Mayo Clinic confirm that the benefits of these products are usually minimal, so the suggestion is that people improve their lifestyle with healthy habits and resort to products that are scientifically proven.