Chia seeds are notable for their richness in nutritional components such as polyunsaturated fatty acids, proteins, fiber and B vitamins, which is why they are considered one of the most complete functional foods, whose properties are beneficial for health.
In this sense, since pre-Hispanic times, the consumption of chia seeds has been recommended, which, according to their nutritional characteristics, help to combat and prevent diseases such as cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, hypertension and cancer, among others.
You may also be interested: Weight loss with prehispanic food
1. The consumption of chia seeds could reduce blood sugar after a meal, the so-called postprandial glycemia, which may reduce the risk of developing diabetes and heart disease in these patients, according to research published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition .
2. The essential fatty acids s present in chia seeds, especially alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), have been associated with protection against certain types of cancer, and reducing the risk of heart disease , according to Department of Agriculture of the United States .
3. The chia It has higher values in fiber, calcium, manganese and phosphorus, as well as proteins, compared to other seeds, such as flaxseed, besides that fiber improves digestion and fights constipation.
4. Has an activity antioxidant superior to any complete food, including blueberries, so its consumption is beneficial to prevent the action of free radicals that trigger diseases such as cancer.
5. Beta-sitosterol, the most recognized phytosterol for its ability to reduce plasma levels of cholesterol , is the most abundant in the plant and, along with its content in Omega-3 fatty acids , explains that its ability to reduce the cholesterol , according to researchers Natural Standard Research Collaboration of the United States.
6. According to a study of Clinical Nutrition and Risk Factor Modification Center of Toronto, Canada , the consumption of chia combined or as a substitute for other bread-making grains, could provide a greater sensation of satiety and combat the excessive consumption of flours.
7. According to a study of the University of Ohio in the United States, the seed of chia reduces levels of anxiety and it helps to fight depression, which, in addition, makes it possible to control the excessive intake of food from the soul part.
You may also be interested: 5 seeds to burn fat
While the Chia seeds are considered one of the most nutritious and effective foods against weight loss, it should be noted that by themselves they do not help to burn more fats or accelerate the metabolism . These results are achieved when they are included within a balanced diet and the frequent practice of exercise.