The Ministry of Health of Mexico rejects the legalization of marijuana, both for its medical and recreational use, due to the repercussions that this product may have on health, points out that there is not enough scientific evidence to support the benefits of the cannabis with therapeutic purposes.
However, some nations have approved its use for the treatment of certain diseases and disorders, we list 5 below:
1. The medical use of marijuana is well known for the benefits it has when treating nausea and other side effects caused by chemotherapy. It also helps to improve the decrease in appetite in patients who are in cancer treatment . Its use has been approved by U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in patients who do not respond to standard medications, according to the National Cancer Institute.
2. Studies in the decade of the 70's report that one of the benefits of smoking marijuana includes a decrease in eye pressure in patients with glaucoma. However, the National Eye Institute (NEI) and The Institute of Medicine of the United States declare that there is no scientific evidence to support these results and they publish that they have not found anything that shows an increase or decrease in the benefits of consuming marijuana to treat glaucoma. , compared to other types of pharmacological treatments.
3. The use of compounds derived from marijuana for the treatment of patients suffering from multiple sclerosis , cause a positive effect on the immune system, calming the hyperactivity, which significantly reduces the damage caused by the disease in the central nervous system. These results have been published in the Journal of Neuroimmune Pharmacology.
4. In the control of muscle spasms, there are several published studies that demonstrate the effectiveness of marijuana in the control of seizures. The control of muscle spasms s is important in people suffering from multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, spinal cord injuries, paraplegia and quadriplegia, according to library data Research Findings on Medicinal Properties of Marijuana.
5. Marijuana can be helpful in people who suffer from insomnia . However, there are no conclusive studies that the scientific community approves due to the side effects that can cause its consumption.